It’s fall, so you know what that means: cue pumpkin everything! But instead of opting for all the sweet treats, think savoury for a change. We wanted to make a muffin that would stand up to its cornbread contender and taste equally full-flavoured with hints of sweetness. The marriage of pumpkin, feta and sage makes for a sweet, salty and flavour that achieves just that. A quick tip: when buying pumpkin puree, grab the unsweetened, sugar-free stuff. And, if you like a little extra texture, you can always dice up about 1 cups’ worth of pumpkin or butternut squash, roast it and fold it into the batter along with the feta and sage for extra bite. Slather some butter on these when warmed, or eat them as is – either way, they make for the perfect addition to your autumn menu.
Savoury Pumpkin, Feta & Sage Muffins
Bake Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Servings: 9 muffins
2 cups almond flour
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp sea salt
Pinch of pepper
½ cup + 2 Tbsp pumpkin puree
2 Tbsp extra-olive oil
2 Tbsp almond milk
1 tsp maple syrup
½ cup crumbled feta
2 Tbsp fresh sage, finely chopped
3 Tbsp pumpkin seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. In a bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients (pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, milk and maple syrup). Then pour the dry ingredients into the wet bowl and mix to combine. Fold in the feta and sage.
4. Oil a muffin tin or add liners to them, pour about ¼ cup of batter into each muffin hole.
5. Top the muffins with pumpkin seeds and bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Ensure the muffin tray is placed on the top rack of the oven to prevent the bottoms.